Registering to Vote: Our Essential Election Guide


From Trans rights to a ban on conversion therapy, as LGBT+ people, making our voices heard is more important than ever at this year’s General Election on Thursday, 4 July.

Here’s what you need to know…

Valid photo ID is mandatory to vote

As per The Electoral Commission, accepted forms of photo ID include a Driving Licence or Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory or a Commonwealth Country. 

For LGBT+ people, especially Trans and non-binary people, this might be alarming. Some TNBI people do not own a photographic ID that represents who they are now. In addition, some non-binary people may be misgendered due to having an official photographic ID that does not represent their gender identity or presentation.

Failing to provide an ID that is pre-approved, or if a polling officer has ‘reasonable doubt’ that you’re not the person that corresponds with the ID you have, you may be unable to vote. Since ‘reasonable doubt’ is not clearly defined, you could have concerns about prejudice or unconscious bias regarding gender expression and gender identity influencing the decision of the polling officers.

If you are concerned, you have every right to be. However, the free Voter Authority Certificate offers an option that doesn’t require you to identify your gender, therefore if you’re not comfortable disclosing your gender publicly you can remain safe. All you will be asked for is your registered voting address, a recent, digital photo and your National Insurance number.

Don’t be alarmed if you’re concerned for your privacy either. 

Schedule 1 of the Elections Act explicitly states that you’re able to present your identification privately. The Act notes that “the presiding officer or clerk must arrange for the voter to produce any document in a private area of the polling station if the voter so requests, and, in such case, must ensure that no other persons witness the production except as permitted by the voter”.

As such, you legally have the right to only share your ID with the polling officer and no one else.

If you are applying for a Voter Authority Certification, do so before June 26. More information can be found at

Example of what a Voter Authority Certificate looks like. © The Electoral Commission

It’s also useful to know that if you don’t want to vote in person at a polling station, you can apply for a postal vote or, if you want someone else to vote for you, apply for a proxy vote.

Register to vote before June 18 

In order to vote at this year’s General Election, you must register to vote by 11:59pm on Tuesday, 18 June.

You’ll be asked for your National Insurance number (but you can still register if you do not have one). After you’ve registered, your name and address will appear on the electoral register.

Register to vote by visiting

If you’re concerned about your safety or the safety of someone in your household, there’s a different process to register anonymously.

You will need to:

  • Explain why your safety (or the safety of someone in the same household as you) would be at risk if your name and address appeared on the electoral register
  • Provide a court document or an attestation from an authorised person to support your application

For more information on registering to vote anonymously, please visit:

Dates for your diary

18 June – Last day to register to vote

19 June – Last day to apply for a postal vote

26 June – Last day to apply for Voter ID Certificate AND last day to apply for a proxy vote

4 July – General Election 

Voting FAQs

I’m unable to vote on July 4, what do I do?

Apply for a postal vote by visiting Additionally, you can apply for a proxy vote for someone else to vote on your behalf by visiting

I’m a student, where do I vote?

Register at both your home address and term time address. You must only vote once.

I’m moving address, what should I do?

If you’re moving before June 18, register immediately at your new address. 

What accepted ID can I use?

A passport or driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence). A full list of accepted forms of photo ID can be found at

Related Posts

LCR Pride Foundation is a registered charity in England & Wales, no 1185167. Registered Company 11754074.